Country Portfolio Evaluation (CPE) Egypt
Egypt has played a key role in the international environmental arena with strong participation and contribution to global and regional conventions. The scope of the Egypt CPE included all 19 national projects for US $87.87 million, as well as seven regional projects and one global project.
- GEF activities in Egypt have been instrumental in drawing national decision makers' attention to global and regional environmental issues, and resulted in policy changes in climate change and biodiversity.
- GEF has also contributed to the policy dialogue at the regional level for international waters.
- Long term sustainability of projects results has been undermined by inadequate planning and insufficient resource allocation.
- The Council should address the significant gap of available resources in Land Degradation to support key challenges facing countries like Egypt.
- Egypt should prepare a GEF national framework in order to enhance the strategic use of GEF funds.
GEF Council decision
- The GEF Council should address the significant gap of available resources in Land Degradation to support key challenges facing countries like Egypt.